Thursday, October 16, 2008
Cryptids Day 6: The Yeti
Hi folks! This image took longer than expected due to using a new technique I learned online with opacity and paint brushes. But it turned out well and I'm proud of it. Hope you like my Yeti - or Abominable Snowman if you will - and his prey!
Here's how I did it.
How to Make a Fearsome Yeti: The Tutorial
1. Scan your image.
2. Add finishing touches to the image. I changed it so that the Yeti's fur went in the direction of the wind.
3. Fill in the background layer at 100% opacity.
4. Give your Yeti bluish/white skin set to 86% opacity.
5. Using a 16 point brush, create the first overcoat layer of fur.
6. Using that same 16 point brush, but with the brighter white, create coat #2.
7. Use a darker color for shadows and color the nails.
8. Select a cold, deathly brown for your dead mammal of choice on the Yeti's shoulder. Use a lighter color for the antlers and a slightly darker color for the antlers' shadows.
9. Use a darker brown for the dead mammal's shadows.
10. Set the brush to 40% opacity to create blood seeped fur.
11. At 100% opacity, choose a brighter shade of white for snow and after choosing a shade of gray, use an 11 point brush for snow shadow lines.
12. Using a specialty brush of your choosing, (or the one I found here) create the appearance of windblown snow.
And voila! You have your fearsome creature of the tundra. Remember to use different layers for each step and to save often.
© 2008 Angela Entzminger