Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Even MORE Avatar News

According to Animation Magazine the first Avatar movie, entitled simply The Last Airbender, is slated to arrive in theaters on Friday, July 2, 2010.

2010?!
I can't wait that long!

But I must. I am excited to see one of my favorite shows on the big screen. I am also glad that they were able to compromise with the title. While it would have been cool to call the trilogy Avatar: The Last Airbender, it would not have been cool to get sued by James Cameron, who, as many of you may know, is also coming out with his own Avatar film that has no relation whatsoever with Aang and his element-bending buddies.

I have mixed feelings about M. Night Shyamalan directing the upcoming Avatar films though. On the one hand he directed The Six Sense, one of the most poignantly scary films I've ever seen. On the other hand, he directed The Village. And Unbreakable. And Signs. *shudder*

However, given the source material and the fact that creators Michael DiMartino and Brian Konietzko are on board as executive producers, I do not foresee the film bombing at the box office. And I can only imagine how cool the special effects will look in a live action picture. So here's to M. Night making a great film! (I hope!)

No comments: