Thursday, April 10, 2008

Animation Mentor

So I've been trying to figure out what would make an excellent first short film.
My calling card, if you will, into the animation industry. I've several friends who got their foot in the door by the strength of their student film and I know that this is most likely a better option than putting together a reel of randomness.

So I was quite excited to find out about an online program called Animation Mentor. Basically it's a group of three guys, two from Pixar, who created an online school solely devoted to character animation. It lasts 18 months and costs roughly $16K. On the surface this seems expensive but considering that schools like SVA and CalArts charge rougly $22K A YEAR this is quite a bargain.

I spoke to a rep over the phone and she mailed me some good information. So if I decide to take the plunge I'll be starting school in July. I've gotta think, gotta pray, gotta figure out the finances, but I believe this would be a great step in the right direction.

And to top it off my good friend gave me Maya 7 so I don't have to go out and buy yet another computer program. How serendipitous is that?

So if any of you out there are considering Animation Mentor, or if you or anyone you know is a part of the program, drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: