Friday, March 06, 2009

Watchmen: Will it be wicked or just sort of stink?


I've been looking forward to this movie since I saw the trailer during The Dark Knight last summer. I read Watchmen several years ago and was greatly impressed by the depth and complexity of the subject matter. It's not my favorite comic (Midnight Nation and Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1 are tied for that grand spot in my heart), but it's certainly up there with great literature.

Based on the reviews of Newsarama, NPR and The New York Times the critics are in consensus that the only people who will truly enjoy the film will be fanboys and girls. As I am a fangirl, that suits me just fine. However, I'm not a big fan of violence for violence sake - I passed up on watching Sin City, but I did films like Gladiator, Fight Club and 300. People may ask what the difference is between those movies with violence and a movie like Watchmen, which I hear is uber-violent. My answer is that if the violence serves the plot and is not stomach churning and excessive to the point of nausea then I can take it. Otherwise I'll walk out of the theater - and I've done that too.

My friends are going this weekend to see it on IMAX - sadly I will not be able to join them - DANG! So if any of you, my readers, go see it this weekend, please let me know what you think. I'd appreciate too if you would mention if you've read the GN or not, so that I can get a sense if this is a movie that all audiences would like, or only those of the comic reader persuasion.

No comments: