Tuesday, February 26, 2008

This is late, but still kinda timely







My Gal Friday, Diablo Cody, won for Original Screenplay on Sunday night.
I will be candid by saying that I believe "Juno" deserves a solid B+ as far as movies go. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, definately worth the $8.50. But I'm proud of Ms. Cody (aka Brook Busey) on account of she strikes me as a take-me-as-I-am-cause-I-ain't-a-faker kind of woman. And I like people like that in general.

Here is her Oscar speech, courtesy of oscar.com:

"What is happening? This is for the writers, and I want to thank all the writers. I especially want to thank my fellow nominees because I worship you guys and I'm learning from you every day, so thank you very much. I want to thank the Academy, I want to thank Fox Searchlight, Mr. Mudd, Mandate, Dan Dubiecki. I want to thank our incredible cast including the superhuman Ellen Page. I want to thank Jason Reitman, who I consider a member of my family, and I'm in awe of his talent as a filmmaker. I want to thank Sarah Self. I want to thank Mason Novick who knew I could do this before I did. And most of all, I want to thank my family for loving me exactly the way I am."

How can you not love that?

Yahoo! News even did a piece on her. Apparently all the people who loved the film and her are now part of a backlash against her because she won the award and is now a Hollywood darling. Makes me sick. People elevate you to cult status, then tear you down when you're successful. Shame on them.

But I say kudos to you, Ms. Cody. You've earned it.

No comments: