Monday, February 04, 2008

Leopard OS X 10.5 vs. HP PSC 2355 Scanner

So for Christmas I bought a nifty 20" iMac to replace my dying Dell Inspiron Laptop (R.I.P.)

Problem is that HP has yet to come out with adequate drivers and software to support printing and scanning on said computer. I've spent six hours now hunting for the proper software on various message boards, free Twain sites and HPs site trying to find something that can work. The result is that now I can print documents, and I can scan documents, but I cannot actually SAVE anything that I can scan, and everytime I try to scan something onto Photoshop CS2, the program crashes. Nice.

So until I figure out how to get the scanner to work, there will be a dearth of drawings on this blog. Apple is great but only if the rest of the world jumps on the Mac bandwagon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey did you ever figure out the problem and get your printer connected, im having the same problem. If you know a solution to the twain issue with the hp printer id like to know it
-Wes
wesleysummers@mac.com

Angela Entzminger said...

Hey Wes,

so I see you are one of the THOUSANDS of fellow Mac and HP users having the same issue.

I sympathize dude.

I downloaded every software driver on the HP site. Then I went to spotlight and typed in HP Scan Pro. Once that came up, it gave me the option of scanning the document to Tiff to Adobe Photoshop. Once there I can save the document in whatever format I want.

That's the only way that the printer and the program can communicate to one another thus far. If I try to scan via Twain through Photoshop, I get an error message that no scanner is connected.

Very strange. But now it works.
Hope it works for you too.

Daily One Sheet said...

thanks angela - your approach worked for me, but i'm able to save the variety of formats without using photoshop.

Tony said...

I am having the same problem. I get messages saying that PSC2355 doesn't support scanning. Can you tell which driver you are actually using?

Angela Entzminger said...

Hey Tony,

I ended up just going back to HPs site and re-downloading everything. That worked the second time. I don't know which driver specifically I used though. Sorry I can't be of more help but the Apple forums may give you more answers. Good luck!