Saturday, November 12, 2011

Kesu Production Stills

A Hunter seeks out a Mammoth with unusual results.

Thus begins my animated short "Kesu." Why do a 15 second animated short for class when you can create an entire thesis-film like project for the Spring Show? Sounds like a plan to me. The first 15 seconds are my class assignment, then next minute and 25 seconds are the rest of the film.

One day I will create a short subject. But I love fully fleshed out stories. It's why I write screenplays instead of short stories and novellas.

Our professor gave us excellent advice - create 10 to 20 story ideas with 5 unexpected outcomes and 5 reactions to each of those outcomes. That led Alice down the rabbit hole of discovery. I planned on filming "The Fighter." I had created preliminary storyboards, character designs and  was ready to go. But something did not feel right. So I followed my professors assignment and started writing ideas last Saturday at Chipotle. And then the 11th idea came to me.

So don't listen to anyone who tells you wait around for inspiration. Get out there and churn out as many ideas as possible. That's how you come up with something. Blood and sweat. (And good food - that helps.)

Here's the set up of the storyboard that I pitched in class:


Home office set up:


Preliminary stick-figure like storyboards:


Kesu (originally named Kesuk) turnarounds:


Alamet turnarounds:


Size comparison chart:


Kesu and Alamet in action sketches:




No comments: